What is the desired outcome of the function?
- List the key objectives of your function
- List how you will measure the success of the function
What resources do you have?
- What is your budget?
- Who is available to help you organise the function?
- Consider school holidays, Easter etc
- Consider weather conditions
- Find out what other events are on to avoid low attendance
- Look at significant work related dates such as year end
- Book your venue first to ensure that you get your preferred venue
- Work backwards from your function date to ensure that all the tasks get completed
- Consider maximum and minimum numbers of guests
- How will you invite the guests and ensure that they are kept informed of the necessary function details?
Know your venue
- Determine how much space you'll need (plenary room, breakouts, separate catering room)
- Talk to the venue function coordinator of your requirements and let them advise you on the best possible room/s
- If circumstance allows, always conduct a site visit of the venue. This will give you a better idea of the space you're working with and will give you a feel of the venue
List your requirements
- Seating style (theatre, boardroom, classroom etc)
- Audio Visual equipment (will you hire AV or use your own?)
- Catering - remember dietary requirements
- Catering style: will your guests be standing to eat or sitting?
- Create a run sheet for your function with times.
- Do you require the room to be themed?
- Will there be drinks and nibbles at the function?
- What are your pack in and out times?
- Do you need name tags?
- Do you need a registration desk?
Confirm final details
- A week before the function, confirm final attendance numbers and details with the venue
- Send out a reminder to all attendees about the function